Deadline for formal application: Friday, September 30, 2016
- Map Showing Which Businesses Are Eligible
- Program Guidelines
- Step-By-Step How To Apply
- Program Application
For details, contact the City of North Port’s Economic Development Division (941) 429-7001.
About the program:
Businesses in a targeted area along U.S. 41 in North Port are invited to apply for a grant program through the City of North Port and Sarasota County to improve their façade, thus improving property values.
The City of North Port and Sarasota County have launched a Façade Improvement Program to provide financial assistance to business owners serving low and moderate income residents within North Port.
“We wanted to be able to help North Port business owners along the U.S. 41 corridor with funding to help improve the look-and-feel of the exterior of their buildings, thus driving more traffic to their front door and improving the aesthetics of some of our older stretches of Tamiami Trail,” said Jonathan Lewis, City Manager. “We are very excited about this endeavor and what it means for the local business community.”
The funding can help to pay for:
- exterior improvements (including exterior signs that are attached to the building),
- correcting code violations associated with the exterior façade or bringing non-conforming building facades into conformance;
- reasonable and necessary design costs such as architectural design and other professional services;
- and building permits.
The financial assistance may not be used for roofs, landscaping, parking lot improvements, signs that are not attached to the building, interior improvements, and exterior furniture.
The funding is coming from North Port's Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) allocation. These are Federal funds provided to cities and counties for community and economic development activities.
The intent of the program is to:
- reduce the number of deteriorated properties in low and moderate income North Port neighborhoods;
- improve the facades of businesses in North Port;
- increase the tax base of Sarasota County and the City of North Port;
- increase economic development opportunities in North Port;
- and create an attractive streetscape along the U.S. 41 corridor in North Port.
The grant amounts are:
Less than 5,000 SF - up to $ 50,000
5,000 SF to 20,000 SF - up to $ 75,000
More than 20,000 SF - up to $100,000
All applicants must be a for-profit business that primarily serves residents who have incomes at or below 80 percent of the area median income or primarily service residents of a lower income area as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Nonprofit organizations and organizations that are primarily religious in nature are not eligible for financial assistance. Other requirements apply.